Free resources for staff implementing an effective hearing assistance program, family carers and volunteers who support people with hearing loss in the community.
It’s never too late to hear better.
Up to 80% of Australians aged over 70 have some hearing loss. This increases to around 85% in residential aged care. But staff and supporters in aged care service facilities and hospitals are seldom adequately trained to assist those with hearing loss.
Good Practice Guide.
The Good Practice Guide provides extra reference material and suggestions for starting an effective hearing assistance program.
A free 30-minute instructional video designed to fit in an in-service session for staff as well as for pre-service training. The video opens with residents talking frankly about their experience of hearing loss and its impacts. This leads to effective ways of speaking to someone with hearing loss and then to a thorough demonstration of essential skills needed to manage and troubleshoot hearing aids.
It can be used in conjunction with the Multiple-choice questionnaire for Hearing Assistance.
- View the video on YouTube, [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O15xOkOkFVQ&feature ]
- Download the video on Vimeo [ https://vimeo.com/151896540 ] by selecting the download arrow icon beneath the video image
The poster series is designed to encourage the use of appropriate communication techniques as part of a plan to improve hearing support in aged care and hospitals.
Empowering aged care volunteers.
Access and use valuable resources aimed at strengthening the national consistency of volunteer training, support, management, and promotion within the aged care sector.
These comprehensive resources are geared towards addressing various aspects of aged care volunteering, and they encompass:
- The Importance of Engaging Volunteers: Understand why volunteers are vital to delivering person-centred aged care.
- Volunteering in Aged Care: Get insights into what it involves and how it contributes to the well-being of our elderly citizens.
- Becoming an Aged Care Volunteer: Step-by-step guidance on how to embark on a fulfilling journey as an aged care volunteer.
- Guidance for Aged Care Providers and Managers: Resources that empower providers and managers to optimise volunteer support and management.
- Training and Resources: Access valuable training materials and resources tailored specifically for aged care volunteers.
You can find them online here.
- Confident Living with Hearing and Vision Technology: Course for Older Adults with Combined Hearing and Vision Loss.
- Aged care workforce online training tool: The Commonwealth Department of Health and Aged Care commissioned a suite of training materials for hearing health module training modules. The module, Hearing Health Introductory and Refresher Module is one of a series of free online learning modules to support aged care workers with foundational knowledge of key concepts in aged care.
For inquiries send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
© Deafness Forum Ltd 2023. Deafness Forum assigns the right to another party to use the video and other above-listed resources for education and training activities but retains all other rights. Reproduction and use for commercial purposes require prior written permission.