Australia is a party to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
Australia has to report to the United Nations every four years about what it has achieved. People with disability, through their representative organisations such as Deafness Forum of Australia can also report to the United Nations. This report is known as a Civil Society Shadow Report.
You can download the 2019 Shadow Report:
The Shadow Report is looks at the current state of disability rights in Australia. To zoom in on specific areas, a series of factsheets based on the report have been developed. You can download them below.
- Employment of People with Disability
- Forced Treatment and Restrictive Practices
- Inclusive Education
- Indefinite Detention of People with Disability
- Legal Capacity
- Implementation of the CRPD – Legislative and Policy Framework
- Discrimination against migrants and refugees with disability
- The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
- Violence against People with Disability
- Forced sterilisation of people with disability and people with intersex variations
- Participation of People with Disability & Resourcing of DPOs